Wednesday, February 12, 2014

MODERN TAKE ON OLD SCHOOL DESK

I’m back with another project that I have completed!


Behold my new end table! I know what you are thinking…”Is that a school desk?” Why yes, yes it is. I wish I could say that I thought of this on my own but I actually got the idea from a tour I saw on Apartment Therapy. 

I get TONS of inspiration from the house/apartment tours on Apartment Therapy.com, one of my favorite blogs of all time! Most of the time when I’m browsing through different tours, I’m making mental notes of things that I want to recreate in my own home one day. I came across a tour that I absolutely loved which ironically enough was called "Jesse's Modern Bachelor Pad." The last thing I am trying to create here is a bachelor pad... I'm just trying to convey more of a mature, put together home. But this house tour is one of my favorites. It's modern, but cozy... a hint of Scandinavian design....it is just simply GORGEOUS! 

 Photo from Apartment Therapy 

As you can see, I was inspired by this old school desk that was re-purposed into a nightstand. So when I came across an old school desk at a thrift store for $2.99... I just could not leave it behind. 


I loved that I could adjust the height of the desk to fit the low profile sofa that we have, and how I could incorporate more natural wood into the space. 

I basically just cleaned up the old desk, painted the base, removed the top and replaced it with a piece of birch plywood that I bought at Lowes. Then I just put a satin clear coat on top to protect the wood. The table top matches the Ikea Poang chair's frame perfectly and also the legs of the sofa (It's the Karlstad from Ikea).

I decided to add the geometric cut out on the top to make it easier to use the storage area underneath since the only way the end table fits in our small apartment is up against the sofa. 


It was definitely a fun project and let's face it... who can beat an end table for $15! My husband was definitely a fan of the price! 

Stay tuned for my next project! I'm going to be building a Mid Century inspired coffee table! 

No comments:

Post a Comment